India Uncut - The Tsunami Posts

At the end of December 2004 and the beginning of January 2005, I travelled through the tsunami-affected areas of Tamil Nadu, India. These are the posts from just before, during and after my trip that I wrote for my blog, India Uncut.

Tuesday, January 04, 2005

Despatches 22: Just listen

Time after time, at village after village, people rush up to us and start telling us of their loss. When that happens all day, it begins to get tough. But my travelling companion, Dilip D’Souza, teaches me an important lesson.

“These people have so much inside them,” he says, “that they just want to unload. That is why they tell you their story. Some of these stories are so sad that I know that I can do nothing to help them – except listen to what they have to say. So I listen.”
amit varma, 7:19 PM| write to me | email this to a friend | permalink